Our client, based in Uganda, is seeking to recruit Cooks for their Kenyan branch. Reporting to the Branch chef and Unit Manager, the cooks will accurately and efficiently cook and prepare food items i.e salads, dressings, meats, fish, vegetables, soups/ sauces and other hot food products or prepare and portion food products at the commissary prior to delivery to the various units for use.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Maintain punctuality and report to the work station 10min early.
- Prepare a variety of meats, poultry, vegetables and other food items for cooking in the ovens, grills, fryers and a variety of other kitchen equipment.
- Cook food items in batches and keep them in the warmer following all prep procedures while filling the station prep manuals.
- Multitasking and cooking different dishes at the same time, depending on the orders screened in all stations display monitors.
- Assume 100% responsibility for quality of products served.
- Know and comply consistently with standard portion sizes, cooking methods, quality standards and kitchen rules, policies and procedures.
- Stock and maintain sufficient levels of food products at line stations to assure a smooth service period.
- Portion food products at the commissary prior to cooking according to standard portion sizes and recipe specifications.
- Maintain a clean and sanitary work station area including tables, shelves, grills, fryers, sauté burners, convection oven, flat top range and refrigeration equipment. Assuring that the station where they work are hazard free and safe for cooking.
- Prepare items for, grilling, frying, sautéing or other cooking methods by portioning, battering, breading, seasoning and/or marinating.
- Follow proper plate presentation and garnish set up for all dishes.
- Handle, store and rotate all products properly.
- Assist in food prep assignments during off-peak periods as needed.
- Close the kitchen properly and follow the closing checklist for kitchen stations.
- Attend all scheduled employee meetings and bring suggestions for improvement.
- Perform other related duties as assigned by the Kitchen Manager or manager-on-duty.
- A minimum of 2 years of experience in kitchen preparation and cooking or a graduate from a reputable culinary institute.
- Must be able to read and understand instructions or communication inform of memos, special menus, delivered by the chef or management with ease.
- At least 6 months experience in a similar capacity.
- Up to date Food Safety Certificate from the City or town council health inspection department.
- Must be able to communicate clearly with the chefs, managers, and kitchen team.
- A team player.
- Be able to reach, bend, stoop and frequently lift up to 40 pounds.
- Be able to work in a standing position for long periods of time (up to 9 hours).
- Be able to work in hot, wet, humid and loud environment for long periods of time.
If interested and you meet the above specifications, kindly send your application to email@example.com by latest 30th May 2018 indicating the job title on the email subject.