Our client is seeking to recruit a Horticultural Supervisor who will be responsible for: Supporting the Supervisor in the day to day horticultural maintenance of the Commission cemeteries, scattered graves and memorials; Providing training to contractors to ensure the efficient running of horticultural operations within the Area; Working in accordance with organisational policy and approved working practices, health and safety procedures.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure horticultural maintenance in the Region meets Commission standards.
- Ensure regional staff and contractors are supplied with stores, machinery and plant material and that the Region’s needs are reported to line management for inclusion in annual estimates. To evaluate new products and procedures as required.
- Liaise with the Regional Manager, and Supervisors to ensure co-ordinated approach to horticultural maintenance programmes.
- Organise own working tours, visas, air flights, foreign exchange and hotels as directed by line management.
- Establish and maintain useful contacts in the various countries of operation.
- Ensure urgent maintenance work is promptly reported to Regional Manager and Supervisors.
- Include personal management in safe way observing policies, procedure and best practice setting an example.
- Assist in the implementation of Area Management Plan including horticultural projects and maintaining accurate records of cemetery technical data and plans.
- Assist with the planning of the renovation programme, using information from Horticultural Qualitative Assessments.
- Organise and supervise renovation projects carried out by contractors as agreed with Regional Manager and Supervisor.
- Regular inspections of the cemeteries and supervision of contractors doing day to day work in the Region.
- Supervise contractors in the safe use of horticultural machinery and vehicles, ensuring safe working practices; recording accidents and taking appropriate action to minimise risk.
- Maintaining machinery, ensuring records are kept up to date
- Deliver training courses to contractors in the Horticultural Modules plus the safe use of machinery & pesticides.
- Ensure Horticultural and Health and Safety documents are kept up to date.
- Assist Works Craftsman with arrangements for training and carrying out work outside the region.
- Receive and assist visiting dignitaries, war veterans and relatives.
- Accompany HO officials when they visit
- Represent the Commission at ceremonies when requested
Financial & Risk Management
- Ensure all work practices are risk assessed and that COSHH assessments are in place. Also that PUWER checks are made at defined intervals with guidance from Supervisor when required
- Produce monthly accounts and claims for expenditure in accordance with current accounting practices and within agreed delegated authority per transaction
- Manage the performance, development and standards of behaviour of staff within the Region
- Monitor the Region’s labour requirements to identify resourcing needs and report these to the Regional Manager and Supervisors
- Ensure the Commission’s Health and Safety Policy is promulgated, implemented and adhered to, throughout the Region as far as is practically possible.
- Carry out on-site health and safety work place inspections within Region
Academic / Professional Qualifications
- Understanding of Health and Safety Global Standards
- Sound supervisory skills
- Diplomacy and patience when dealing with different ethnic groups and local bureaucrats.
- Ability to liaise with Embassy and Consulate officials and to take dignitaries for tours tailored to their interests
- Willing to learn French, Portuguese & Swahili.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified applicants to submit their application including an updated CV, indicating their current and expected salary to firstname.lastname@example.org by latest 18th May 2018. Ensure the job title is quoted on the subject field.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.