Our client is seeking to recruit a Technical Supervisor who will be responsible for Supervision of day to day maintenance of cemeteries, scattered graves and memorials within East and West Africa. Working in accordance with organisational policy and approved working practices, achieving the highest standards for both horticultural and structural work, and adopting health and safety procedures and policies relating to protection of the environment, conduct and behavior. This position involves regular travel within East/West Africa to ensure projects are carried out.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Inspect burial sites (according to the Area programme) to ensure all war casualties are adequately commemorated.
- Ensure maintenance contracts and agreements are effective and meet the Commission’s high standards, reviewing them as required.
- Take remedial action when necessary to ensure effective maintenance standards.
- Identify and address maintenance issues, set and agree targets for improvement with maintenance teams/contractors. Take follow up action to ensure conformity of standards.
- Prepare and submit quarterly administrative reports as required to include updated site specific information, quarterly work plans and work achieved against targets.
- Research and co-ordinate information from various sources (local authorities, local interest groups etc.) that may be added to or amend the Commission’s records.
- Oversee exhumations as required.
- Support the implementation of Area Management Plan, including structural, horticultural and administrative projects. Maintain accurate records of cemetery technical data and layout plans.
- Promote safe use of all machinery, equipment and vehicles, ensuring safe working practices at all times as per Commission control measures.
- Conform to Commission and country specific reporting procedures to record all accidents and near misses.
- Take appropriate action to effectively recognise, record and manage risk.
- Gather and provide information as required by the Area Health & Safety Action Plan.
- Supporting, planning and managing agreed work programmes in agreement with Senior Technical Supervisor.
- Administer and lead training initiatives in, making all arrangements as required.
- Where required, seek suitably competent contractors and manage a competitive tender process to ensure value for money.
- Liaise with Senior Technical Supervisor regarding recommendations or requests for resources including the supply of approved local purchase of equipment and materials.
- Manage performance, development and standards of behaviour for direct reports and oversee performance management of the wider regional team. Identify training needs based on competencies for the whole staff compliment and highlight any skills gaps.
- Deliver training in order to maintain and improve the staff skills base. Evaluate training and conduct regular team meetings to update staff on all aspects of operations.
Financial & Risk Management
- Support the Senior Technical Supervisor in production of the monthly accounts in accordance with current accounting practices and within agreed delegated regional and financial budget authorities
- Ensure current and relevant Commission risk assessments are in place for all work practices, COSHH assessments are completed, plant/machinery checks (LOLER and PUWER) are made at defined intervals, with guidance from the Consultancy Services Department when required.
Academic / Professional Qualifications
- A recognised technical/management/administration qualification (BTEC/HND or local equivalent).
- Project Management experience.
- Relevant experience working in a supervisory position.
- A good knowledge of horticultural and structural standards and practices is essential.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified applicants to submit their application including an updated CV, indicating their current and expected salary to email@example.com by latest 11th May 2018. Ensure the job title is quoted on the subject field.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.